Promotions are a tool offering customers discounts on products.
Customers receive discounts according to the type of a promotion:
- Discount - in this case, a promotion is applied to a product automatically when adding the product to the shopping cart on the checkout page.
- Promotion codes - in this case, a promotion is applied to a product only after a promotion code gets activated in the shopping cart on the checkout page. Customers can activate promotion codes manually or automatically by using the parameter in buy links. More details on how to use promotion codes (coupons).
Each promotion can include only one discount type.
Discount models determine the products to which discount amounts under a promotion are going to be applied:
- All products - total discount amount for all your products.
In this case, the promotion is applied to all your products; the discount amount is the same for each of the products. If you add new products to the catalog, the discount amount is automatically applied to them as well.
- Specific products - total discount amount for selected products.
In this case, the promotion is applied only to the products you select; the discount amount is the same for each of the products.
- Specific products and discounts - individual discount amounts for each selected product.
In this case, the promotion is applied only to the products you select; the discount amount is assigned individually for each product.
According to promotion validity periods, promotions can be:
- Lifetime - in this case, the expiration date of a promotion remains unset; the discount amount is offered as long as the promotion is active.
- Limited-time - in this case, you set the expiration date of a promotion. If it is past this date, the discount amount cannot be applied. However, if the customer places an order with a discount amount offered while a promotion is valid and pays for the order only after the promotion expires, the discount amount does not change. The price of a discounted product is not recalculated in an unpaid order after a promotion expires.